MAYOR Sebastian “Baste” Duterte launched a scathing attack against the Marcos administration on Saturday, May 23, 2026, claiming there are active maneuvers to utilize a Constituent Assembly (Con-Ass) to extend the terms of incumbent elected officials.
Speaking before thousands at the Mindanao launch of the Reform Alliance for Accountability, Good Governance, and Ethics (RAGE) Coalition at the Davao Convention Center, the local chief executive claimed he had been warning the public about such structural maneuvers well before the recent midterm elections.
Duterte alleged that high-ranking officials are desperate to cling to power to shield themselves from severe legal repercussions once they step down from office.
“We are now hearing about a Constituent Assembly to extend the terms of incumbent politicians, including congressmen,” Duterte said, alternating between English and vernacular during his address.
“Before the midterm elections, I already said this in Cebu, and everywhere I went. They do not want to step down because they know they will face imprisonment.”
The mayor also directly challenged the administration’s anti-corruption stance, arguing that systemic looting of public funds ultimately reflects the tolerance of the country’s highest leadership.
He further cleared House Speaker Martin Romualdez of being the ultimate architect of alleged state irregularities, shifting the full weight of accountability directly onto President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
“The problem is, as Martin Romualdez himself reportedly said, he is not the mastermind. Who is the leader? Who is the head of the Philippines right now? It’s Marcos,” Duterte told the crowd, before launching into personal tirades questioning the President’s leadership capacities and competence.
As of press time, Malacañang has not issued an official statement responding to the Davao City mayor’s allegations.